Elements and activities – the Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Long-Sleeved Safari Shirt:
Quick Facts: ⊙ Weight: 200g; ⊙ Made from 100% polyamide Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ anti-insect fabric with wicking, built-in SPF50+, and anti-microbial finish
Activities: ⊙ Safari✓ ⊙ Outdoors✓ ⊙ Travel✓ ⊙ Everyday ✓ ⊙ Outdoor sports and hobbies✓ ⊙ Adventure✓
⊙ Made from soft, strong, and cool 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ anti-insect fabric with moisture wicking.
⊙ Built-in SPF50.
⊙ Anti-bacterial technology to keep your shirt smelling fresh without washing.
⊙ Quick release from creasing for travel.
⊙ Two chest pockets with velcro closure.
⊙ Zipped security pocket.
⊙ +Vent hidden system along back top seam to keep you cool.
⊙ QuickDry material means you can wash and go in no time.
⊙ Roll-up sleeve tabs.
A long-sleeved shirt is a must on safari! BUGTech™ fabric has built-in sun protection and anti-insect treatment, with no compromise on wicking for your child’s all-round comfort on safari and outdoors.
Before jumping on the anti-insect clothing bandwagon, we wanted to be 100% sure our clients were receiving a shirt that actually worked. The problem with most other anti-insect brands of clothing is that the wicking effect is retarded by the addition of the anti-insect finish. In effect, you end up wearing a plastic bag. We were most concerned about the following:
• That we developed the best possible anti-insect finish and had it tested independently to ensure that it actually worked;
• That, in the evolution from MaraTech™ to BUGTech™ fabric, the high level of wicking and benefits of our MaraTech™ fabric were not lost or hindered in any way.
Many other brands forego this testing and rely on intensive marketing campaigns to sell their garments. In developing the BUGTech™ fabric, we were guided by our new mantra for our Rufiji™ clothing range: "No marketing hype. Just the facts." In ensuring we could deliver a product that performs, we undertook to put the Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Long-Sleeved Safari Shirt through thorough in-house and independent tests.
• The Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Long-Sleeved Safari Shirt has been proven in independent tests by the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) Pesticide Trial Section to repel most insects. We know of no other manufacturer willing to publish their results. Please see the test results in the images above.
• The majority of anti-insect garments on the market today have very poor wicking as it usually conflicts with the insect repellent finish on fabric and so, while your garment may keep insects away, without wicking the shirt will not keep you cool. We tested our BUGTech™ against our MaraTech™ range which is highly effective at wicking moisture away from your skin.
• The active ingredient in our BUGTech™ fabric is permethrin which is used at the ultra low dosage of 500ppm. Permethrin is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain Chrysanthemum plants. BUGTech™ utilises a proprietary permethrin formula to provide odourless insect defence.
In addition to affording defence from a host of biting insects including mosquitoes, flies, bed-bugs, fleas, and midges, BUGTech™ also inhibits odour-causing bacteria and fabric degradation.
* The BUGTech™ fabric is can be worn by all ages. The active ingredient has been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for application onto textiles and clothing. It is non-leaching (i.e. it won't transfer from the fabric/garment onto the wearer’s skin). Hence, even if one was to perspire heavily or lick the fabric, there is no chance of the vital protection transferring.
If you have any questions regarding BUGTech™ and the development of the fabric please do not hesitate to contact us.
In addition to the anti-insect and moisture wicking qualities of the fabric, the ripstop fabric is strong and smooth to the touch with built-in SPF50+ to protect your children from the sun. Creases from packing are quickly released and anti-bacterial technology keeps the shirt smelling fresh between washes. The material also dries quickly, keeping active kids on the go. Another feature that promotes dryness and comfort is the +Vent system which is hidden along the top seams at the back of the shirt, increasing airflow around the body while you’re on the move.
The Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Long-Sleeved Safari Shirt has two front pockets with Velcro closure for easy access, as well as a zipped security pocket. The roll-up sleeve tabs are hidden when the sleeves are down, but hold your sleeves in place when rolled up.
Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Long-Sleeved Safari Shirt – Further Information:
⊙ MATERIAL: Made from 100% Rufiji™ BUGTech™ ripstop fabric. This strong, light material combines the best of MaraTech™ and BUGTech™ to offer comfort and protection on safari and when travelling and for outdoor sports and hobbies. Creases are quickly released after unpacking and the fabric is quick to dry for your convenience. Anti-bacterial technology also keeps this shirt smelling fresh between washes.
⊙ BUILT-IN INSECT DEFENCE: Independent testing of our BUGTech™ fabric has confirmed the anti-insect properties with no compromise to its moisture wicking ability, which is often the case within the industry.
⊙ WICKING: Strong, cool BUGTech™ fabric draws perspiration away from skin and promotes quick evaporation for maximum dryness and comfort.
⊙ SPF50+: The Sun Protection Factor is a measure of the amount of the sun's ultraviolet rays that reach your skin. This fabric will protect your skin from harmful sun exposure - in effect, sunblock for your clothing. This is the highest SPF rating we know of on a garment.
⊙ +VENT SYSTEM: This shirt includes the +Vent system. This system increases the flow of air around your body by including hidden vents along the seam-line of the back, top section of the shirt.
⊙ ROLL-UP SLEEVE TABS: Roll up and secure the sleeves of this long-sleeved shirt for flexibility and convenience. The tabs secure the sleeves when they're rolled up but remain hidden when sleeves are down.
⊙ POCKETS: Two chest pockets with velcro closure for easy access, as well as a zipped security pocket.
*Please do not assume your children's size - always check the size guide below.
• The Baobab version of this shirt is made in our honeycomb ripstop fabric, with the same features and high-performance BUGTech™ technology.
• The Willow version of this shirt is made from new micro ripstop for strength, with a soft hand feel for a touch of luxury
|cm / inch||XS||S||M||L||XL|
|1/2 Bust / Chest||41.5 cm||43.5 cm||45.5 cm||47.5 cm||49.5 cm|
|1/2 Waist||41.5 cm||43.5 cm||45.5 cm||47.5 cm||49.5 cm|
|1/2 Hem||40.5 cm||42.5 cm||44.5 cm||46.5 cm||48.5 cm|
|Sleeve Overarm||47 cm||51 cm||55 cm||57 cm||59 cm|
|Centre Back Length||57.5 cm||60.5 cm||63.5 cm||68 cm||72.5 cm|
Three easy steps to ordering the right size:
You will need the following items:
• Measuring tape
• A flat surface (such as a table or counter)
• A notepad and pen
• An item of clothing from your wardrobe that fits comfortably and is similar to the one you wish to purchase (e.g. if you are looking at buying a collared shirt then use one of your own collared shirts to compare measurements to.)
Referring to the images above, place your garment on a flat surface and record the following measurements:
A. 1/2 Bust/Chest: Measure across the front of the shirt from armpit to armpit.
B. Sleeve Overarm: Measure from the end of the cuff to the shoulder seam.
C. Centre Back Length: Measure from the nape of the neck on the back of the shirt to the bottom hem.
Compare your measurements with our size chart and order the size closest to those measurements. Chest/bust is usually the most important measurement if you are in a hurry, but checking all three will make for the most comfortable fit.
TIP: If you do not have a measuring tape, use your credit card. The long side of a credit card measures 8.5cm and the short side is 5.4cm. Simply use the centimetre measurements on our chart and divide by 8.5cm to get an idea of how many credit card lengths equals the measurement you are recording.
I was bringing my 3 year old daughter to the South Luangwa River Valley in late October. Your customer service was incredible. I live in California and wanted to make sure that if I ordered an item, it would arrive before our trip. My email was replied to immediately and Leila assured me that the items I needed were due any day and she would make sure they got to me in time. She personally emailed me when they had shipped. Just incredible. I ordered Bugtech pants and shirts for both my daughter and I. The quality was wonderful, we spent 8 days in the bush comfortably cool & dry and safe from sunburn and bug bites. What an easy way to keep kids safe so they can just enjoy safari. You guys are amazing in every possible way. Thank you!!