Quick Facts: ⊙ Weight: 250g; ⊙ Made from 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ anti-insect fabric with wicking, built-in UPF30 sun protection, and anti-microbial finish; ⊙ Zip-off trouser legs for a choice between shorts or trousers
Activities: ⊙ Safari✓ ⊙ Outdoors✓ ⊙ Travel✓ ⊙ Everyday ✓ ⊙ Outdoor sports and hobbies✓ ⊙ Adventure✓
Features: ⊙ Made from soft, strong, and cool 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ anti-insect fabric with moisture wicking; ⊙ Trousers are easily convertible into shorts by simply zipping off the trouser legs for two garments in one – ideal for space and weight saving when packing and flexibility when out and about; ⊙ Built-in UPF30 sun protection; ⊙ Anti-bacterial technology to keep your trousers fresh without washing; ࣻ Quick release from creasing for travel; ⊙ Four multi-functional pockets including two cargo pockets and two hand pockets; ࣻ QuickDry material means you can wash and go in no time; ⊙ Elasticated waistband; ⊙ Belt loops to ensure the best fit
These zip-offs are full of features for kids on the move. Made from BUGTech™ fabric with built-in insect defence, sun protection, and wicking, get two garments in one for protection and convenience.
Before jumping on the anti-insect clothing bandwagon, we wanted to be 100% sure our clients were receiving trousers that actually worked. The problem with most other anti-insect brands of clothing is that the wicking effect is retarded by the addition of the anti-insect finish. In effect, you end up wearing a plastic bag. We were most concerned about the following:
• That we developed the best possible anti-insect finish and had it tested independently to ensure that it actually worked;
• That, in the evolution from MaraTech™ to BUGTech™ fabric, the high level of wicking and benefits of our MaraTech™ fabric were not lost or hindered in any way.
Many other brands forego this testing and rely on intensive marketing campaigns to sell their garments. In developing the BUGTech™ fabric, we were guided by our new mantra for our Rufiji™ clothing range: "No marketing hype. Just the facts." In ensuring we could deliver a product that performs, we undertook to put the Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers through thorough in-house and independent tests.
• The Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers have been proven in independent tests by the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) Pesticide Trial Section to repel most insects. We know of no other manufacturer willing to publish their results. Please see the test results in the images above.
• The majority of anti-insect garments on the market today have very poor wicking as it usually conflicts with the anti-insect finish on fabric and so, while your garment may keep insects away, without wicking the shirt will not keep you cool. We tested our BUGTech™ against our MaraTech™ range which is highly effective at wicking moisture away from your skin.
• The active ingredient in our BUGTech™ fabric is permethrin which is used at the ultra low dosage of 500ppm. Permethrin is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain Chrysanthemum plants. BUGTech™ utilises a proprietary permethrin formula to provide odourless insect defence.
In addition to affording defence from a host of biting insects including mosquitoes, flies, bed-bugs, fleas, and midges, BUGTech™ also inhibits odour-causing bacteria and fabric degradation.
* The BUGTech™ fabric can be worn by all ages. The active ingredient has been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for application onto textiles and clothing. It is non-leaching (i.e. it won't transfer from the fabric/garment onto the wearer’s skin). Hence, even if one was to perspire heavily or lick the fabric, there is no chance of the vital protection transferring.
If you have any questions regarding BUGTech™ and the development of the fabric please do not hesitate to contact us.
In addition to the anti-insect and moisture wicking qualities of the fabric, the lightweight Ripstop fabric is strong and smooth to the touch with built-in SPF30 to protect you from the sun – the recommended sun protection rating by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Creases from packing are quickly released and anti-bacterial technology keeps your trousers fresh between washes. The material also dries quickly, keeping active children on the go and allowing them to wear their trousers – or shorts – over and over.
These zip-off trousers are great for children who are active outdoors. Worn as trousers, they are a great option for keeping your children warm or protecting them from the sun. Trousers are also a great first barrier to ticks when walking in the grass and the built-in anti-insect treatment acts as added defence for everyone’s peace of mind. As the day heats up or to suit their activities, the legs are easily zipped off to convert the trousers into shorts.
The Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers were built for outdoor and everyday comfort and convenience. The elasticated waistband ensures a good, comfortable fit all day long. These Zip-Off Safari Trousers have two cargo pockets and one hand pocket for carrying their sunscreen, accessories, or interesting artefacts they find along the way.
'Safari 8' & Rufiji™ Safari Clothing:
We provided the BBC with expert advice and our boys’ and girls’ safari clothing for the recently aired series, 'Safari 8'. This unique CBBC series follows four British and four South African children as they spend a month training to be game rangers in the Kruger National Park in South Africa. The camera and production crew also chose to wear our adult Rufiji™ safari clothing while on location in the Kruger National Park.
*For the best possible protection from insects and the sun, combine these trousers with our specially-developed sunscreen and our leading Australian-made repellents.
Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers – Further Information:
⊙ MATERIAL: Made from 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ fabric. This strong, light material combines the best of MaraTech™ and BUGTech™ for your child’s comfort on safari, when travelling, and on outdoor adventures. Creases are quickly released after unpacking and the fabric is quick to dry for your convenience. Anti-bacterial technology also keeps trousers fresh between washes.
⊙ BUILT-IN INSECT DEFENCE: Independent testing of our BUGTech™ fabric has confirmed the anti-insect properties with no compromise on its moisture wicking ability, which is often the case within the industry.
⊙ WICKING: Strong, cool BUGTech™ fabric draws perspiration away from skin and promotes quick evaporation for maximum dryness and comfort.
⊙ UPF30: The fabric of these trousers has built-in UPF30 – the recommended rating by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
⊙ ZIP-OFF TROUSER LEGS: The zip-off legs offer flexibility, allowing for wear as trousers or shorts. This is a packing-friendly option, effectively giving you two garments in one – saving space, reducing suitcase weight, and for convenient convertible trousers and shorts for long days of play.
⊙ ADJUSTABLE WAIST: The elasticated waist and belt loops ensure the most comfortable, stylish fit.
⊙ POCKETS: Four pockets including two cargo pockets and two hand pockets make these trousers a functional safari, travel, outdoor, and everyday choice.
• Please do not assume your children's size - always check the size guide.
• The Baobab version of these trousers is made in our honeycomb ripstop fabric, with the same features and high-performance BUGTech™ technology.
• The Willow version of these trousers is made in new, strong micro ripstop fabric, offering the same insect defence properties with a soft hand feel.
|cm / inch||XS||S||M||L||XL|
|1/2 Waist||30 cm||32 cm||33 cm||36 cm||39 cm|
|1/2 Hip||45 cm||47 cm||48 cm||51 cm||54 cm|
|Front Rise||24 cm||25 cm||26 cm||28 cm||31 cm|
|Inside Leg||60 cm||64 cm||68 cm||78 cm||87.5 cm|
Three easy steps to ordering the right size:
You will need the following items:
• Measuring tape
• A flat surface (such as a table or counter)
• A notepad and pen
• An item of clothing from your wardrobe that fits comfortably and is a similar style to the one you wish to purchase
Referring to the images above, place your garment on a flat surface and record the following measurements:
A. 1/2 Waist: Measure across the top of the waistband from corner to corner.
B. Front Rise: Measure from the top of the front waistband to the crotch seam;
C. Inside Leg: Measure from the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg hem.
Compare your measurements with our size chart and order the size closest to those measurements. 1/2 Waist is usually the most important measurement if you are in a hurry, but checking all three will make for the most comfortable fit.
TIP: If you do not have a measuring tape, use your credit card. The long side of a credit card measures 8.5cm and the short side is 5.4cm. Simply use the centimetre measurements on our chart and divide by 8.5cm to get an idea of how many credit card lengths equals the measurement you are recording.
I was bringing my 3 year old daughter to the South Luangwa River Valley in late October. Your customer service was incredible. I live in California and wanted to make sure that if I ordered an item, it would arrive before our trip. My email was replied to immediately and Leila assured me that the items I needed were due any day and she would make sure they got to me in time. She personally emailed me when they had shipped. Just incredible. I ordered Bugtech pants and shirts for both my daughter and I. The quality was wonderful, we spent 8 days in the bush comfortably cool & dry and safe from sunburn and bug bites. What an easy way to keep kids safe so they can just enjoy safari. You guys are amazing in every possible way. Thank you!!