Quick Facts: ⊙ Weight: 250g; ⊙ Made from 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ fabric with wicking, built-in UPF30 sun protection, and anti-microbial finish; ⊙ Zip-off trouser legs for a choice between shorts or trousers
Activities: ⊙ Safari✓ ⊙ Outdoors✓ ⊙ Travel✓ ⊙ Everyday ✓ ⊙ Outdoor sports and hobbies✓ ⊙ Adventure✓
Features: ⊙ Made from soft, strong, and cool 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ fabric with moisture wicking; ⊙ Trousers are easily convertible into shorts by simply zipping off the trouser legs for two garments in one – ideal for space and weight saving when packing and flexibility when out and about; ⊙ Built-in UPF30 sun protection; ⊙ Anti-bacterial technology to keep your trousers fresh without washing; ࣻ Quick release from creasing for travel; ⊙ Four multi-functional pockets including two cargo pockets and two hand pockets; ࣻ QuickDry material means you can wash and go in no time; ⊙ Waist is adjustable through the elasticated strip hidden on the inside of the waistband; ⊙ Belt loops to ensure the best fit
These zip-offs are full of features for kids on the move. Made from BUGTech™ fabric with built-in insect repellent, sun protection, and wicking, get two garments in one for protection and convenience.
Before jumping on the insect repellent clothing bandwagon, we wanted to be 100% sure our clients were receiving trousers that actually worked. The problem with most other insect repellent brands of clothing is that the wicking effect is retarded by the addition of the insect repellent finish. In effect, you end up wearing a plastic bag. We were most concerned about the following:
• That we developed the best possible insect repellent finish and had it tested independently to ensure that it actually worked;
• That, in the evolution from MaraTech™ to BUGTech™ fabric, the high level of wicking and benefits of our MaraTech™ fabric were not lost or hindered in any way.
Many other brands forego this testing and rely on intensive marketing campaigns to sell their garments. In developing the BUGTech™ fabric, we were guided by our new mantra for our Rufiji™ clothing range: "No marketing hype. Just the facts." In ensuring we could deliver a product that performs, we undertook to put the Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers through thorough in-house and independent tests.
• The Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers have been proven in independent tests by the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) Pesticide Trial Section to effectively repel insects. We know of no other manufacturer willing to publish their results. Please see the test results in the images above.
• The majority of insect repellent garments on the market today have very poor wicking as it usually conflicts with the insect repellent finish on fabric and so, while your garment may keep insects away, without wicking the shirt will not keep you cool. We tested our BUGTech™ against our MaraTech™ range which is highly effective at wicking moisture away from your skin.
• The active ingredient in our BUGTech™ fabric is permethrin which is used at the ultra low dosage of 500ppm. Permethrin is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain Chrysanthemum plants. BUGTech™ utilises a proprietary permethrin formula to provide effective, odourless insect protection.
In addition to affording protection from a host of biting insects including mosquitoes, flies, ticks, bed-bugs, fleas, and midges, BUGTech™ also inhibits odour-causing bacteria and fabric degradation.
* The BUGTech™ fabric is perfectly safe and can be worn by all ages. The active ingredient has been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for application onto textiles and clothing. It is non-leaching (i.e. it won't transfer from the fabric/garment onto the wearer’s skin). Hence, even if one was to perspire heavily or lick the fabric, there is no chance of the vital protection transferring.
If you have any questions regarding BUGTech™ and the development of the fabric please do not hesitate to contact us.
In addition to the insect-repellent and moisture wicking qualities of the fabric, the lightweight Ripstop fabric is strong and smooth to the touch with built-in SPF30 to protect you from the sun – the recommended sun protection rating by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Creases from packing are quickly released and anti-bacterial technology keeps your trousers fresh between washes. The material also dries quickly, keeping active children on the go and allowing them to wear their trousers – or shorts – over and over.
These zip-off trousers are great for children who are active outdoors. Worn as trousers, they are a great option for keeping your children warm or protecting them from the sun. Trousers are also a great first barrier to ticks when walking in the grass and the built-in insect repellent acts as added protection for everyone’s peace of mind. As the day heats up or to suit their activities, the legs are easily zipped off to convert the trousers into shorts.
The Rufiji™ MaraTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers were built for outdoor and everyday comfort and convenience. The side elasticated waistband ensures a good, comfortable fit all day long. These Zip-Off Safari Trousers have two cargo pockets and one hand pocket for carrying their sunscreen, accessories, or interesting artefacts they find along the way.
'Safari 8' & Rufiji™ Safari Clothing:
We provided the BBC with expert advice and our boys’ and girls’ safari clothing for the recently aired series, 'Safari 8'. This unique CBBC series follows four British and four South African children as they spend a month training to be game rangers in the Kruger National Park in South Africa. The camera and production crew also chose to wear our adult Rufiji™ safari clothing while on location in the Kruger National Park.
*For the best possible protection from insects and the sun, combine these trousers with our specially-developed sunscreen and our leading Australian-made repellents.
Boys’ and Girls’ Rufiji™ BUGTech™ Zip-Off Safari Trousers – Further Information:
⊙ MATERIAL: Made from 100% Rufiji™ Ripstop BUGTech™ fabric. This strong, light material combines the best of MaraTech™ and BUGTech™ for your child’s comfort and protection on safari, when travelling, and on outdoor adventures. Creases are quickly released after unpacking and the fabric is quick to dry for your convenience. Anti-bacterial technology also keeps trousers fresh between washes.
⊙ BUILT-IN INSECT REPELLENT: Independent testing of our BUGTech™ fabric has confirmed the effectiveness of its insect repellent properties without compromising on its moisture wicking ability, which is often the case within the industry.
⊙ WICKING: Strong, cool BUGTech™ fabric draws perspiration away from skin and promotes quick evaporation for maximum dryness and comfort.
⊙ UPF30: The fabric of these trousers has built-in UPF30 – the recommended rating by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
⊙ ZIP-OFF TROUSER LEGS: The zip-off legs offer flexibility, allowing for wear as trousers or shorts. This is a packing-friendly option, effectively giving you two garments in one – saving space, reducing suitcase weight, and for convenient convertible trousers and shorts for long days of play.
⊙ ADJUSTABLE WAIST: The elasticated waist is adjustable via a discreet elastic strip on the inside of the waistband. Together with the belt loops, you are ensured the most comfortable, stylish fit.
⊙ POCKETS: Four pockets including two cargo pockets and two hand pockets make these trousers a functional safari, travel, outdoor, and everyday choice.
• Please do not assume your children's size - always check the size guide.
• The Baobab version of this shirt is made in our honeycomb ripstop fabric, with the same features and high-performance BUGTech™ technology.
|cm / inch||XS||S||M||L||XL|
|1/2 Waist||30 cm||32 cm||33 cm||36 cm||39 cm|
|1/2 Hip||45 cm||47 cm||48 cm||51 cm||54 cm|
|Front Rise||24 cm||25 cm||26 cm||28 cm||31 cm|
|Inside Leg||60 cm||64 cm||68 cm||78 cm||87.5 cm|
Three easy steps to ordering the right size:
With so many different brands from all over the world available on the high street and online, the only way to get your size right the first time round is to compare a garment you own and which fits you well with one of our garments.
STEP 1: You will need a measuring tape, a flat surface such as a table, a notepad to record your garment's measurements - and your own pair of trousers which are a comfortable fit. ⊙ Tip: If you do not have a measuring tape, use your credit card. The long side of a credit card measures 8.5cm and the short side is 5.4cm. Simply use the centimetre measurements on our chart and divide by 8.5cm to get an idea of how many credit card lengths equals the measurement you are recording.
STEP 2: Referring to the images above, place your trousers flat on the table and record the following measurements: ⊙ 1/2 Waist - Across the top of the waistband from corner to corner; ⊙ Front Rise - From the top of the front waistband to the crotch; ⊙ Inside Leg - From the crotch to the bottom of the hem on the trouser leg.
STEP 3: Compare your measurements with our size chart and order the size closest to your measurements.Waist is usually the most important measurement if you are in a hurry, but checking all three will make for the most comfortable fit.