It is hard to quantify just how much binoculars add to the safari experience, but one thing is for sure - I feel naked on safari without them
Without question, binoculars are the number one safari essential. On foot or on game drives, for wildlife and birding, investing in a high-quality pair of safari binoculars will enhance your travels to Africa and ensure you get the most out of the experience.
5 reasons you need to take binoculars on safari
1. Safety. Africa’s wildlife can be dangerous and using a good pair of binoculars means you can observe larger mammals from a safe distance. Binoculars are especially handy when scanning the bush for safety on walking safaris and other active safaris.
2. Delight in the detail. Observing the undisturbed natural behaviour of Africa’s wildlife is a privilege. As exciting as seeing animals up close can be, this means keeping your distance. Whether up close or at a distance, binoculars give you an opportunity to observe detail on animals and birds for truly exceptional game-viewing and birding. Don’t rely on shared binoculars for this as there may be a mad scramble to share sometimes poor-quality optics and you could miss out on great sightings. Shop the best safari binoculars here.
3. Birding. A birder and his or her binoculars are not soon parted. If you are an aspiring birder, this adds an exciting new element to your game drives. While some birders prefer a smaller 8x magnification for forest birding, we recommend our selection of high-end 10x42 binoculars as the premium choice for your safari. Shop our range of birding and game-viewing binoculars here.
4. Photography. As every traveller will agree, the camera that is easiest to use is the one to take along - especially when suitcase space is limited on safari. If you have an iPhone 6 and a pair of Swarovski binoculars, you might want to consider iPhone photography. Using the adapter from Swarovski, you can record the view through your binoculars in photographs and videos on your mobile. Shop the Swarovski accessories here.
5. There’s no reason not to. A pair of high-quality binoculars are a lifelong investment and you will almost certainly be forced to buy again if you go for the cheapest option on the market. If you are based in the UK, we offer a binocular rental service to ensure you and every member of your travel party go on safari with the best safari binoculars on the market.
SAVE UP TO 60% OFF:
Shop the SALE
Includes Factory Shop Specials.
Get the best outdoor gear now for even less.
While stocks last