Elements and Activities – The P3 Ledlenser Safari Torch:
Quick Facts: ⊙ Weight: 42g, ⊙ Length: 9.45cm; ⊙ Lumens: Up to 16lm; ⊙ Range: Up to 31m; ⊙ Takes 1 x AAA battery; ⊙ Runs up to 7hrs; ⊙ Our overall rating: 6/10
Activities: ⊙ Safari; ⊙ Night drives; ⊙ Camp/hotel/lodge staff; ⊙ Travel; ⊙ Outdoors; ⊙ Expeditions; ⊙ General safety and security; ⊙ Emergencies; ⊙ Camping trips; ⊙ Everyday use; ⊙ Gift; ⊙ Survival; ⊙ Construction and auto repairs; ⊙ Early morning or evening jogging, walking, biking; ⊙ Recreation
Features: ⊙ Lamp head, main tube, and end cap are made from high-grade aluminium and are splash-proof; ⊙ Corrosion-resistant thread used to screw the modular design together; ⊙ Hard, gold-plated contacts for anti-corrosion from battery acid or battery gas for quality that lasts decades; ⊙ Reflector lens Rapid Focus System for seamless transition from low beam to long-distance light; ⊙ Blue Moon Focus System creates the perfect reading light and minimises eye fatigue; ⊙ Pocket clip, lanyard, and key ring
At just 96mm, this torch is the baby of the high-performance range - the perfect size to keep with you to watch where you’re walking at a safari lodge, on outdoor adventures, and for everyday use.
With a range of 31 meters, you will be amazed by the performance of such a small torch. On safari, it's ideal for you to check where you step while walking around camp and for use in your safari tent at night. However, the range is a little limited for trying to spot wildlife in camp in the evening (for this, we would recommend at least the P5). Its size makes it a great safari and outdoor accessory for children - small enough to fit into their pockets or clip on to their shirts. We believe that Ledlenser make the best torches available today.
The Ledlenser P3BM has a bigger lamp head than other torches in this size and it has an increased lighting range. Its technology allows for quick transition from circular low beam to focused long distance light and the clear light created by this torch can be used for night-time reading whilst camping, finding your location on a map, and most low-light tasks. One alkaline battery (AAA micro cell) is low cost and offers hours of light from this surprisingly powerful torch.
Its tiny size makes it the perfect choice of torch to carry with you in case of emergency and it fits with ease into pockets, backpacks, handbags, and glove compartments to cover every eventuality.
Range vs lumens: When buying torches, please do not only look at the lumens advertised, but also the range of the torch. Where Ledlenser is so impressive is that their torches are highly efficient at transforming battery power into light, which means that the range on a Ledlenser torch will often be much greater than the range on another make of LED torch, even when the other LED torch produces more lumens.
As a leading international brand of hand-held torches and head lamps, Ledlenser is renowned for superior German engineering, outstanding performance, and state-of-the-art technologies such as the patented Advanced Focus System and Smart Light Technology. Constantly driving innovation to provide class-leading lighting instruments, Ledlenser is the brand of choice for professional tradesmen, emergency services personnel, search and rescue teams, and serious outdoor enthusiasts. Ledlenser hand torches and head lamps deliver breath-taking, bright, homogeneous white light that turns night into day and simply has to be seen to be believed. Using only the finest materials such as energy-efficient CREE LED light chips, aircraft-grade aluminium, and gold-plated contacts, they are renowned for quality and have a reputation for reliability that is second to none.
Torch etiquette on safari: Please note that one should never shine a torch into the eyes of diurnal animals, including elephants. This may result in them becoming dazed, leaving them vulnerable to predators.
Packing notes for torches from our experts:
• Packing a high-quality torch is essential on all safaris. This is important for your safety at night.
• Not only will a high-quality torch, such as the range we stock from Ledlenser, ensure that you avoid stepping on any reptiles, arachnids, or insects at night when walking back to your room or tent, but you are also able to spot and avoid wildlife which may have wandered into the camp area in the evenings, as most camps are unfenced.
• Spotting wildlife is also good fun at night. Please ensure that you do so from a safe vantage point such as from the lodge or from the comfort of your room or tent. Your guide and lodge staff should be able to assist you in finding the safest position from which to view the animal.
• For guidelines on which animals you should not shine on at night and for other useful torch usage information, please see the section on this page called "Torch etiquette".
General notes from our experts:
• Our expert, honest advice has the sole intention of increasing your enjoyment and safety whilst on safari and comes from years of experience on all types of safaris and adventures in Africa.
• Natural behaviour: For all the activities you enjoy on your safari, please remember that the ultimate safari involves seeing natural behaviour from the animals you have travelled so far to spend time with. What we mean by this is that you and your guide should not confront any animal while on safari, but rather stay a safe distance away from the animal so that they continue with their habits as if you were not there. The holy grail of safaris is to use the wind, sun, and your guide's skills to try view the animal without it ever becoming aware of your presence. Watching an intimate moment between an elephant cow and calf beats an elephant charging you when you venture too close and she feels threatened. Please bear this in mind when viewing animals during the day and at night - no matter how great or small. Wildlife observations in an open, natural habitat are a privilege and leaving animals as undisturbed as possible by our encounters is what we should all strive to achieve.