Safari Clothing With Feminine Cut By Rufiji™
BUGTech™ anti-insect outdoor & safari clothing: let your clothing do the work to keep biting, stinging bugs at bay in the outdoors and in Africa. Proven insect defence, sun protection, and wicking.
Expedition tested | Made for the outdoors & safari
The advice below is a summary. If you are looking for more information & expert advice then please click here for our full safari shirt advice section
- It is important that you pack safari-suitable shirts for your children on safari which also offer maximum protection from the elements and defence from most biting insects.
- Pack children's safari shirts in neutral, natural tones such as shades of khaki, brown, and green.
- We recommend long-sleeved safari shirts for children with roll-up sleeve tabs over short-sleeved shirts. These enable boys and girls to roll their sleeves up and down to stay cool, keep warm, or to avoid sunburn on their arms. It also increases defence from most biting insects when sleeves are rolled down, which is further increased when the fabric is treated with insect repellent.
- Kids' safari shirts with a collar also give your kids added protection from sunburn - and, again, from insect bites.
- Look for children's safari shirts which have the following key characteristics: the ability to wick moisture to keep them cool, high level of sun protection (SPF50+ is best), and an anti-insect fabric finish assists in reducing bites from most flying and biting insects.
- Pack more children's safari shirts made from man-made fibres (polyamide) than natural fibres (such as cotton). Man-made fibres are better at wicking moisture from the skin - and it is this movement of moisture which will keep them cool.
Number of children's safari shirts to pack for their safari:
Up to 4-day safari: x 2; Up to 8-day safari: x 4; Up to 12-day safari: x 6
- Children feel the cold faster than adults and so it is important when going on safari to pack a children's safari fleece to keep them warm and snug on early morning and evening game drives and through the African winter.
- Pack a kid's safari fleece which is made from safari-friendly colours such as brown, greens, and khaki.
- Pack a safari-coloured waterproof layer for each child if you are travelling over the rainy season for your safari.
- Having lived in Africa through the rains we are also able to advise that the daytime temperature goes from very hot before the rains start, to much cooler once the rains have settled in. The difference may be as much as 10 to 15 degrees celsius below the average temperatures and so again we advise that a fleece or jacket is packed to keep you warm.
Number of boys' and girls' safari jackets or safari fleeces to pack for your safari:
1 x safari fleece or jacket; 1 x waterproof safari jacket should you be travelling over the rainy season.
- Pack a women's safari dress and a pair of women's safari skorts to add variety to your wardrobe.
- Ensure that you select women's safari dresses and skorts which are made in safari-suitable colours.
- A women's safari dress can also be very versatile when worn with tights, as a longer shirt, or tucked into your safari trousers.
- Women's safari skorts - which are a combination of shorts and a skirt, with the shorts inside the skorts - are great for safaris in 4x4s as you are able to climb on to and off of the game drive vehicle without worrying about your underwear showing.
- While, by their design, both safari dresses and safari skorts do allow for a good flow of air around the body to keep you cool, it is still worth looking for styles made in technical fabrics simply as they are usually lighter, easier to pack, and perform better in the heat.
Pack any combination of women's safari dresses & skorts to get the following totals:
Up to 4-day safari: x 1; Up to 8-day safari: x 2; Up to 12-day safari: x 3