Rufiji™ Safari Clothing With Sun Protection For Boys & Girls
Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) is a measure of the amount of the sun's ultraviolet rays that reach your skin. Our MaraTech™ & BUGTech™ fabric both have an UPF of 50+, which is the highest UPF rating available today for clothing. Back that level of protection up by wearing a wide-brimmed hat & accessories such as sunscreens - but only use those which are proven to really work. Staying safe in the sun means many more hours of fun in the sun. Bad sun burns are no fun at all.
- When packing safari trousers for your children, pack children's safari pants made from safari-suitable colours (shades of green, khaki, and brown) and lightweight, strong fabric. Nothing beats the feeling they will get when they wear safari trousers worthy of a great conservationist or early explorer.
- Children's safari zip-off/convertible trousers are the simplest safari trousers to pack for children as they allow for maximum versatility. By removing or adding the legs, you are able to convert them from trousers when cool to shorts when hot. Children's convertible zip-off safari pants also save on valuable packing space by being two garments in one. The legs on the children's safari convertible pants also give added protection from the sun and defence from most biting insects - even more so when their safari trousers are treated with built-in sun protection and anti-insect treatment.
- The ideal children's safari trousers and safari shorts should offer the perfect blend of the following functionality: lightweight with built-in ripstop for added strength, a high level of built-in sun protection (SPF50+ is best), and an anti-insect finish.
- Children's safari trousers which are made from man-made fibres (such as polyamide) are preferred over those made from natural fibres (such as cotton) to keep your children cool while on safari. These fabrics also allow your child to dry off faster should their safari trousers get wet from a rain shower or from mucking about in a stream (a crocodile- and hippo-free stream of course).
- What is more, you will be able to wash and dry your kid's safari trousers much faster when made from man-made fibres such as polyamide.
Number of children's safari trousers to pack for your safari:
Up to 4-day safari: x 2; Up to 8-day safari: x 3; Up to 12-day safari: x 4
The advice below is a summary. If you are looking for more information & expert advice then please click here for our full safari hat advice guide.
- Keep your kid's faces out of the sun on safari activities by packing a wide-brimmed safari hat.
- With average high temperatures reaching mid-20 to mid-30 degrees Celsius on most safaris and with safari areas in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, and Zambia high above sea level, protecting your children on safari is important as the effects of the sun will be pronounced and the risk of being burnt by the sun will be high. As a wide-brimmed safari hat sits on your children's head, it is their most important first line of defence against a hot midday African sun. Always remember to pack sunscreen though too.
- When it pours with rain on safari and your kid's want to splash about in puddles - or if you are caught out in downpour while on a safari activity, their wide-brimmed safari hat will help keep their face and neck dry - and the rain drops out of their eyes.
- Colour is key when choosing a safari hat for your boy(s) or girl(s) - with neutral shades such as khaki, green, or brown the best. Looking the part will also get your children into the theme of their incredible family safari too.
- Modern wide-brimmed safari hats are conveniently packable too and so do not lose their shape when you take them out of your luggage. If they have lost a bit of shape - or your children have accidentally stomped on their hat - you are usually easily able to manipulate their safari hat back into shape. Never crush your safari hat under a hard object - such as shoes or binoculars - when packing, or let your children sit on their safari hat.
Number of wide-brimmed children's safari hats to pack for your safari:
1 x wide-brimmed safari hat per child.
*Don't forget to also pack a safari beanie to keep their heads warm for the African winter - or high altitude safari.
Please note that for the main product images we have not shown kids - only adults - wearing our hats. As the head grows faster than the rest of the body we have found that kids will always fit into "adult" hats so please shop from the products below, and use our size charts to get the correct fit for your kids.