Safari Clothing With Protect Yourself For Boys & Girls
Warm outdoor & safari clothing is vital for just about all northern hemisphere outdoor adventures - and on safaris & travels to Africa, India and beyond where dawn & evening game drives, bush walks, & time spent outside can get chilly. It can get very hot - even in Africa - but it can get very cold too. Prepare by packing a snug outdoor & safari warm layer.
The advice below is a summary. If you are looking for more information & expert advice then please click here for our full safari hat advice guide.
- Keep your kid's faces out of the sun on safari activities by packing a wide-brimmed safari hat.
- With average high temperatures reaching mid-20 to mid-30 degrees Celsius on most safaris and with safari areas in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, and Zambia high above sea level, protecting your children on safari is important as the effects of the sun will be pronounced and the risk of being burnt by the sun will be high. As a wide-brimmed safari hat sits on your children's head, it is their most important first line of defence against a hot midday African sun. Always remember to pack sunscreen though too.
- When it pours with rain on safari and your kid's want to splash about in puddles - or if you are caught out in downpour while on a safari activity, their wide-brimmed safari hat will help keep their face and neck dry - and the rain drops out of their eyes.
- Colour is key when choosing a safari hat for your boy(s) or girl(s) - with neutral shades such as khaki, green, or brown the best. Looking the part will also get your children into the theme of their incredible family safari too.
- Modern wide-brimmed safari hats are conveniently packable too and so do not lose their shape when you take them out of your luggage. If they have lost a bit of shape - or your children have accidentally stomped on their hat - you are usually easily able to manipulate their safari hat back into shape. Never crush your safari hat under a hard object - such as shoes or binoculars - when packing, or let your children sit on their safari hat.
Number of wide-brimmed children's safari hats to pack for your safari:
1 x wide-brimmed safari hat per child.
*Don't forget to also pack a safari beanie to keep their heads warm for the African winter - or high altitude safari.
Please note that for the main product images we have not shown kids - only adults - wearing our hats. As the head grows faster than the rest of the body we have found that kids will always fit into "adult" hats so please shop from the products below, and use our size charts to get the correct fit for your kids.
- Pack children's garments and accessories for your safari which protect them from the cold and which keep them cosy and warm. Safari scarves, safari beanies, and safari gloves for children should be considered a packing essential over the African winter - and may also be required for some mornings on summer safaris too.
- At the very least we recommend packing a safari beanie for your kids on any safari as a safari beanie is so small and light to carry in their luggage, yet have a big effect on how warm you are able to keep your children should it get cold. Keep their safari beanie in your or their small bag which you take on game drives.
- Further to the point above, for the African summer pack a safari beanie for your kids just in case the mercury drops. For the most part their wide-brimmed safari hat should keep them warm enough, but why take the risk? Please do take note too of the altitude of the area in which you are going on safari. The Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania, as an example, is over 2000 metres above sea level and most camps are on the rim of the crater and so may have cold temperatures (morning and evenings in particular) and precipitation throughout the year and we would recommend taking warmer safari accessories just in case.
- Pack safari scarves, safari beanies, and safari gloves in safari colours.
Number of children's safari scarves, safari beanies, and safari gloves to pack for your safari:
1 x safari scarf; 1 x safari beanie; 1 x kid's safari gloves - although your kids should be able to keep warm by tucking their hands into their children's safari jacket or fleece.
Please note that we do not yet have images of kids wearing our beanies and scarves range - but they will fit as the head grows faster than the rest of the body - so please shop from the products below.