Bug Spray, Insect Repellent, and Your Anti-Bug Strategy
Reliable insect repellent is a safari essential. At The Safari Store, we have carefully selected the best bug sprays and tried them ourselves over years in Africa and on all our outdoor adventures to ensure they perform. As a result, we have supplied insect repellent, anti-bug clothing, and accessories to outdoor adventurers and safari-goers for more than ten years.
Reliable insect repellent should be your priority for anti-bug protection. Picking the best insect repellent is a question of active ingredients and formula. For us, this means Australian-made DEET bug spray or a natural insect repellent containing citriodiol. Bushman Insect Repellent is a leading premium Australian insect repellent spray – developed, tested, and trusted in a country where insect protection is a daily concern. Mosi-guard Extra offers the same high level of protection, but is DEET-free for anyone who prefers a natural anti-bug approach. Of course, efficacy is important when travelling to malaria areas as part of a prophylactic plan, but it is equally important for any outdoorsman and woman to avoid tick- and insect-borne disease at home and for travel too.
In this guide, we discuss the features that are important in any bug spray you intend to use daily, outdoors, or for safari and travel. We also give you an overview of the different applications, take a look at some frequently asked questions and bug spray reviews, and give advice on ways to bolster your anti-bug strategy to avoid bites for uninterrupted activities and adventures.
Want to know more about the brands? Read more about the Bushman story and benefits.
Shop Insect Repellent >
What features to look for in bug spray
Shop Bug Spray With These Features >
- Proven efficacy: There are two kinds of insect repellents: those that work and those that don't. The active ingredients you choose should be both safe and reliable. We recommend bug spray with a maximum of 40% DEET content or choosing a natural bug spray with a citriodiol active. While stronger concentrations exist for DEET sprays, this affects longevity rather than effectiveness and would suggest more frequent application of DEET 40 sprays. Find out everything you need to know about DEET in our comprehensive DEET guide. Not all natural insect repellents work the way you would like. Citriodiol is used in insect repellents worldwide and has been trialled, tested, and approved by many regulatory bodies to protect us from insects.
- Long-lasting: The best insect repellent formulae allow for slow release of actives for lasting efficacy and enhanced overall performance. Our bug sprays offer long-lasting protection - and are sweat, rub, and water resistant - perfect for active outdoor activities and warm-weather climates. Bushman repels insects for up to eight hours, with time-release technology and excellent wearer characteristics. Mosi-guard Extra Spray offers up to ten hours' protection. For the best protection, be sure to apply and re-apply regularly throughout the day.
- Wearer characteristics: The purpose of insect repellent is to stay bite-free and happy - so the spray itself shouldn't be a source of discomfort and insects shouldn't be able to smell your fear. Look for insect repellent that's light on the skin and with a neutral or pleasant odour. While this is important every day, it is especially useful in warm weather and for outdoor hobbies.
- Repels a broad range of insects: Look for an insect repellent that is effective against the usual suspects like mosquitoes, ticks, and flies - or the specific insect that is worrying you. That doesn't mean you should forget about some other varieties, however. Insects rarely occur in isolation, so pick a bug repellent that works against a range of insects to prevent insect bites and annoyance.
- Made in Aussie: Australia has perfect conditions for insects. As a result, they are a nation who has had to strategise around insects as a daily reality. This means that their home-grown bug sprays are some of the best - created out of a need for insect protection and developed and tested in some of the harshest conditions in the world. Read more about why Australia makes some of the best insect repellent.
- Tested to work: The Safari Store's expedition tested™ philosophy extends to our insect repellents. Our full range of insect repellent products have been extensively worn in some insect-intensive places and have earned our trust as the best.
Summary of the best insect repellent key features:
Your bug spray should be powered by tried, tested, and widely used active ingredients
Choose insect repellent that's waterproof, sweat and rub resistant, with slow-release actives for long-lasting wear
Shaped by experience: choose safari trusted insect repellent
Look for wearer-friendly characteristics and neutral odour.
Anti-Bug Applications: Where to Wear Your Bug Spray
Shop the Best Insect Repellent >
- Safari: Proven insect repellent is a top safari essential. The main reason for this is to prevent insect-borne diseases like malaria and tick bite fever and, while it is a good idea to take medical precautions when travelling to Africa, making every effort to avoid being bitten in the first place is a smart approach. Apart from disease, insect bites can also be itchy or painful and the presence of insects can be a nuisance. Packing a reliable bug spray will help to preserve the perfection of your safari experiences.
- Travel: It is wise to have an anti-bug strategy no matter where your travels take you. Obviously, if you are a keen adventure traveller and enjoy treks through rainforest, you're going to need a strong insect repellent. However, don't discount the presence of annoying (and, in some places, disease-carrying) insects everywhere from beaches and coastal towns to countryside walks. In travel-friendly sizes, our bug spray range is the easy way for every globe-trotter to pack and go prepared.
- Outdoor sports and hobbies: For outdoor-lovers, the pursuit of bug-free strategies is enduring. Out on the trail, on fishing trips, for hikes and dogwalking, and for every outdoor sport and hobby, outdoorsmen and women face increased exposure to - and so risk from - insects. Our insect protection range comes in daypack-friendly bottle sizes with the features above for peace of mind and comfortable wearing.
- The best insect repellent for home: The best personal care insect repellent should be suitable for daily wear. For the enthusiastic gardener and picnicker, or for bug-free time on your patio, keep a bottle of effective insect repellent handy at home.
- Farming and outdoor work: When time outdoors is an essential part of your workday, your anti-bug strategy becomes a matter of daily importance. Mitigate the risk of bites and disease and don't let bugs get in the way of your productivity. Invest in the best insect protection for farmers and outdoor workers as a work tool.
- Insect-specific concerns: Maybe you're worried about mosquitoes - or that ticks will make you sick. It could be flies in your stables or while you enjoy your garden that concerns you most. Perhaps midges in Scotland or sand fleas on beaches have made you anxious about your next trip. From mosquitoes, ticks, and leeches to sand fleas and no-see-ums, shop for bug spray that repels the insects that bother you most.
Bug spray and insect repellent questions & answers
We provide answers to questions we are frequently asked about bug spray
What is the most effective bug spray?
In our experience, insect repellent with a DEET content of 40% or below - or a citriodiol-based natural bug spray - is both safe and effective to repel not only mosquitoes. DEET and citriodiol are used in insect repellents worldwide. DEET has been used for over 60 years, with over 200 million applications of DEET-based products every year. Citriodiol is being used in an increasing number of insect repellents worldwide. It is trusted by consumers and approved by international health regulators for use as a personal care bug repellent.
When should I use insect repellent?
No matter where you are or what you are doing, insects have the potential to ruin an experience. An effective insect repellent is essential for safari and travel, outdoor work and leisure, as well as at home in your garden or on your patio. Keeping a few bottles handy around the house is a good idea and packing for a weekend away to the countryside, beach holidays, or overseas trips is best practice to ensure everyday insect protection.
Bug spray and pregnancy: is it safe to use insect repellent when you're pregnant?
Many insect repellents are safe for use during pregnancy. DEET-based products with a 50% DEET formula are considered safe for use during pregnancy. Citriodiol is labelled as safe for use during pregnancy. Although there is limited data available on this, the natural formula of citriodiol-based repellent like Mosi-guard Extra's organic formula are regarded as completely safe. However, it is always the safest option to consult your healthcare practitioner for advice before using any personal care insect repellent product.
Apart from insect repellent, what else should I include in my anti-bug arsenal?
Pair the following anti-bug items with your insect repellent to bolster your insect protection strategy for hikes, walks, outdoor activities, safari, and travel: anti-insect clothing; protect vulnerable ankles with boots, socks, and ankle gaiters; and don't let bites get you down by keeping bite and sting relief on hand just in case a bug breaks through your defences.
Shop the Insect Protection range >
Bug Spray And Beyond: Other Ways to Achieve Anti-Bug Protection
Invest in anti-bug clothing. Our BUGTech clothing range is unique in that it combines anti-insect properties with moisture wicking - a combination of properties rarely achieved by outdoor clothing companies. Designed and developed for Africa and the outdoors, our BUGTech clothing has been sampled, expedition tested, and refined to meet our standards for safari and every outdoor activity. It also has built-in sun protection and anti-bacterial properties, is quick to dry, and has a range of design features to keep you comfortable and protected so you can get maximum enjoyment out of every adventure.
Cover up. Especially in tall grass and thick undergrowth, your ankles and exposed skin are the most vulnerable to insect bites - and this can intensify in the late afternoons and evenings. Choose long-sleeved shirts with roll-up sleeve tabs and zip-off, convertible trousers for flexibility - allowing you to dress to meet the demands of the day. Choose closed shoes or ankle boots (like the Buffalo Boots in a Chelsea boot design) for extra cover from the ground up.
Use anti-bug outdoor gear accessories. Accessorise with bugs in mind. A pair of ankle gaiters are a great outdoor accessory, offering extra protection to the ankles and keeping them tick, insect, and blackjack free.
Get relief from bites. If you miss a spot when applying insect repellent or when a tenacious bug breaks through your defences, take the burn out of bites and stings by applying effective bite relief. Our bite and sting relief comes in a convenient travel-sized bottle and has soothing witch hazel extract for spray-on relief out in the field and back home.
Beat bacteria as well as bugs. Hand sanitiser is part of the new normal, but is a good way to prevent getting seasonal bugs and diseases. Keep an anti-bacterial hand sanitiser in your bag or day pack to keep hands clean and bug-free everywhere you go.
No bugs at bedtime. Make your bed a bug-free zone by using a mosquito net. This ensures undisturbed sleep and reduces your chances of being bitten at night.
Find out more about The Safari Store >
The best insect repellent based on client reviews:
We value all our client reviews highly and use them to guide us in stocking only the best clothing, bags, and accessories. They are also a great way for you to see what other clients have thought after using our bug spray range for themselves. Here is a selection of reviews we have received about RID and Bushman.
Bushman Insect Repellent Spray
Review by Claire Fraser: "I have used Bushman around Southern Africa - during the rainy and dry season - and it has never let me down. I'm a bit of a mosquito magnet too, so it has saved me retreating to my tent on countless occasions."
Shop Bushman Bug Spray >
Bushman Insect Repellent Spray
Review by Liz: "The smell is pleasant but most importantly it is a very effective mosquito repellent. On the rare occasion when I have forgotten to apply Mosi-guard, I have been bitten several times. Over the years, we have recommended it to friends and family who have always found it very effective too. Great product!"
Shop Mosi-guard Extra Natural Bug Spray >
Insect Repellent Shopping Guide:
Find your new go-to insect repellent from our hand-picked selection of favourites.
Shop for Premium Insect Repellent Brands
Shop the Insect Protection Range >
Shop Adventure & Outdoor Clothes >
Shop the Insect Protection Range >
Shop insect protection products or use the links below to explore more insect protection products & advice:
Anti-Insect Clothing Links:
Insect Protection Advice Links: